I don't remember turning four but I know that I started "remembering" when I was four. Recently, I was asked to retrieve my earliest memory. Though I can scrounge up a few, the most vivid is that being made to wear masking tape (bearing my name) on my back at the Presbyterian Church preschool. I didn't regularly attend but, on that day needed day care so off I went. I'm quite sure it was a navy blue sweater and I played with weird blocks. Anyway, the common thread in all the memories shared that day was 'emotion'. So I guess extreme disgust was my emotion. Hallie has already proven to have an astounding memory as some of you have witnessed. She may remember a few things prior to her fourth birthday but I am quite sure she will have solid memories of this birthday because of her emotions; love, joy, happiness and security. This is a little girl who knows she has a loving family and is just happy to spend time with them. Oh yes, she loved her presents, but she loves her family. She knows they love her and knows her place with each member. She can even keep them straight! When her Auntie called and was wishing her a happy birthday, Hallie put her hand over the phone and said to me, "It's your sister' When Grandma called and asked to speak to me she replied "It's your mom" when asked who was on the line. Aunt Suzie called and left a birthday message to which Hallie excitedly responded "Aunt Suzie's singing to me - that's so ni-ice". When she was a year old I set up a picture wall (thanks for the idea, Rick and Vikki) to help her put names to the many faces of her HUGE family. She may get a few second cousins (or, once removed-I'm not sure) confused but she pretty well remembers everyone else she's met at least once. By the way, she'll remember where you were and what she did with you too. She knows Emily lives in the mountains where it's cool and thinks that Uncle Rennie should always drive with Grampa Chuck. Nope, no problem remembering and I'm sure I know why. Her memories will be those that come from love and warmth and a sense of belonging. Will she remember that she checked her bones before she went to sleep on the 19th and saw they had grown the morning of the 20th? Probably not. That's my job and my joy. But, her memories will be beautiful just the same.
No one said it was easy to have small children - especially when it comes to managing birthday parties. But, thanks to everyone's help and love, we pulled off a great party and Hallie has successfully, and with much fanfare, turned four.

Fabulous cake by deCroupet's
No comments:
Post a Comment