Saturday, June 21, 2008

School's Out..

....and we couldn't be happier! After phase 1 of closing down our classrooms, we picked up Anna and gave Hallie the choice of restaurants to celebrate her completion of Kindergarten. Knowing the choices 5 yr olds make, we were strong and didn't make a suggestion or try to lead her down our preferred path. As you can imagine she chose Burger King. Dad stepped in then and said "Well, honey, we were thinking...." at which point she interrupts with "I know, something nicer. More special -pause-Wendy's?" She took the laughter as a sign that it mightn't have been what we were thinking. And after wavering between Mimi's and Applebee's, we ended up at Applebee's. Maybe by the time she's in junior high we can go someplace that doesn't have a TV. Well, for some reason somebody's food was a dollar so we actually got off easy for about as much as Burger King and a half. We also enjoyed cooling off in someone else's air conditioning since it was still wavering between 102 and 104 degrees at 4 o clock.

Hallie's favorite things about Kindergarten: It's great and it's wonderful for every day. It was fantastic. We did tear art, we did finger paints. We learned about fish and how the lion fish is poisonous. We learned math like 3-3 is 0 and we learned that your mouth is like a circle when you say 'O' or 'ahh'. We went to the Discovery center on Friday May 9th and got to ride the bus. Riding the bus was fun because it was like riding a roller coaster without seat belts. I liked when we made the gingerbread man. They were just pretending he was real and that he hopped out of the oven. We found him in the office in the Principal's office and he was wearing a real band aid. He had it because he was running in the hallway and he fell. I made some friends and they are Taylor and Henry and Katie and Jessica. I wish I would see my old Kindergarten teachers again. I love them so much. (she also asked if I was sure I didn't need help spelling 'because' which she proceeded to spell out loud to me)

Anna's not out yet but she had a few things to say as well. Anna's favorite things about pre school: I like see the kids. Kids say hi. I play with the kids. I paint on my shirt. (It not nice so-and-so you paint my shirt) Its some paint and get ALL wet. Um play in water and biiiiig SPLASH! I sing at class. Her favorite book is Brown Bear, Brown and her favorite song is ABCD. She does a mean teapot by the way.

It's hard to believe that it's been a year since the PreSchool Graduation Extravaganza but now our big girl is ready to move on to first grade and the other 'big girl' will finish her time with the toddlers to move on to the two-year-old curriculum.

No comments: