Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Big Sister



The job of Big Sister is extremely important and the resident Big Sister in our house does not take her responsibility lightly. OK, sure.. she went back on her promise to "even change the diapers" (made in the months before Anna was born) but, she has since offered again. It's hard to turn her down on that one and I'd give her a shot but she can't reach over the rail on the changing table. I am so happy that she feels she is just as much of a caregiver as her dad and mom and that she has now changed her choice of career from working at the aquarium to working at the aquarium and being a mom.

From the moment she saw Anna in the delivery room, she has been asking questions, making connections and RETAINING THE INFORMATION. I don't mean to yell but, I mean, she's not yet four and can't remember why she went into the kitchen (well... in all fairness, I can't either) yet she can explain all the devices she saw at the hospital, could direct you to our room if she went back and tell you where to get a snack and during which hours you could visit! At the first peep (or poop) she rushes to Anna's side and informs us of her immediate need. Funny that she tells Dad when it's a diaper issue and mom when she thinks she's just hungry. She can't wait for us to say she can hold her and she wants to feed and burp her. Again, on those rare bottle occasions, I don't have to remind her to hold the bottle so there's no air going in - have to tell her which way her shoes go sometimes though - go figure. She can't find a toy that's right in front of her but runs like mad for the plain white burp cloth that neither of her parents can see. Her priorities are really in order. NOTHING is gonna bother or upset her little sister if she can help it. After all, Hallie IS the one who can keep Anna entertained for the longest periods of time and has her genuinely grinning from ear to ear. We just get those quick smiles ( and, I think, eye rolls) Not the Big Sister. The Hallie Show, as we call it, is quite effective. I'm thinking of hiring her out.


So, each morning when Hallie leaves for school she kisses us good-bye a million times and gives me a piece of advice in response to my wish for her to have a good day. She looks like doctor leaving a house call with her lunch box in one hand and the other hand signaling the very important information I'm supposed to remember. "Don't forget to feed/burp/play with Anna." She never reminds me that I'm picking her up or that I promised her a juice box after school. Anna is foremost on her mind. Yes, it's frustrating to have to keep Hallie from kissing, hugging and otherwise touching Anna ALL the time but, it's always with so much love and pride and 'ownership' that I'm proud that it's not any other way. What would I do without Hallie? I can't imagine.

By the way, the verses to "Wheels on the Bus" were unacceptable as originally composed so,on a trip to the doctor's office, taking Big Sister license, Hallie made up a verse to include herself in the song. "The big sisters on the bus say 'I love you, I love you, I love you....." This was not her first foray into developing her own lyrics. A few months ago, while riding with Grampa Chuck in the car she created a verse to 'Old MacDonald' just for the grampas on the farm - "with a talk, talk here and a talk, talk there..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! They are so cute!! It ALMOST makes me want to have kids! You are two lucky parents. :)