Sunday, June 14, 2009

All Done!

So, as promised by Azusa Pacific University, 15 months of hard work and all but physical attachment to the computer, has resulted in a new line item for Mom’s resume. Master of Arts in Educational Technology

I am definitely impressed and humbled by the quality and quantity of instruction and information given to my cadre mates and I throughout the program. This is a topic and a field of study that faces the extreme challenge of staying current in a world in which technology and our use of it is changing and expanding by the hour. I will also admit that, for a s much as I use online resources on a daily basis, I have turned my nose up at online degrees. This program was of interest and the thought of not having to try to make it through 5 hour classes after a full work day was a big draw. I also would not have to miss seeing my girls between school and bedtime - I wasn’t willing to lose that time on a regular basis. That combined with the facts that the school was willing to accept my previously acquired advanced education units (which was like a tuition coupon) and my classroom is equipped with much technology made this the time to log on. Still skeptical, I was able to justify it because it made absolute sense for this program to be delivered and participated in digitally. So, now having experienced it, I can tell you. I worked hard and really had to earn it.

I’m sure there are weak, online Master’s factory programs out there that still outnumber the quality ones but since high schools and even middle schools are providing online course offerings, it’s time to pay attention. Now, I absolutely do not believe that online is the way to go to school overall. There are far too many experiential benefits of a campus/live interaction experience. But, to really create a complete program, and provide for all the differing learning styles and especially for a focused area of study - a web based course or series of courses should be considered. The design of a program such as the one I joined at APU is exemplary and should serve as a model for others who are interested in designing an online learning environment. Thanks to APU for a great experience and a valuable piece of my education.

No comments: